A couple of times after that, I tried making the cuisine at home, and it just turned out to be as perfect. Even you can prepare mouth-watering Idli Sambar Chutney at home. However, for that, you will have to remain a bit patient as it takes a little while to complete with the procedure of grinding, mixing, fermentation, and so on.
Though, everything is worth the yummy taste of Idli Sambar. Try cooking it at home by following this simple recipe:-
- 2 cups idli rava (cream of rice)
- 1-cup urad dal (black gram)
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of cooking soda
- Soak urad dal for 2 hours. Soak idli rava in adequate water for an hour separately. Drain the water and grind together both soaked urad dal as well as idli rava.
- Allow the mixture to set overnight. Proceed by adding a pinch of cooking soda to the batter. Mix the batter well.
- Grease the idli maker plates with adequate oil and fill them carefully with the batter.
- Steam the idli for 10-12 minutes.
- 1 cup toor dal (red gram)
- ½ cup peeled and diced bottle gourd
- ¼ cup diced carrots
- 3 slit green chillies
- 6-7 sliced baby onions
- 1 tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 9-10 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon thick tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons Sambar powder
- 5 cups water
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or jaggery
- salt to taste
- Soak dal for 10-15 minutes and then drain the extra water. Add 2 ½ cups water in a pressure cooker along with bottle gourd, and carrots and boil it for 8-10 minutes.
- Take the lid off, add 3 cups water, onions, and tomatoes, turmeric, sugar, curry leaves, chillies, coriander leaves, salt, and allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add tamarind paste, along with water and Sambar powder.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, and let them splutter. Add red chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida, and then add the Sambar mixture. Let it cook for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut
- ½ cup chickpea (Dalia)
- 3-4 green chillies
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ tablespoon urad dal (black gram)
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 whole dry red chilli
- Grind coconut, Dalia, green chillies, along with adequate water to form a paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves.
- Finally, add the ground coconut mixture and mix well.